MCX CMAC assists USACE and other federal agencies in their consultation efforts with American Indian Tribes. MCX CMAC personnel have expertise in general procedures and protocols for consultation with tribes; special topic consultation activities (e.g., NAGPRA compliance, Section 106 compliance, identifying traditional cultural properties/sacred sites); negotiating agreements; and compiling background research on the cultural history of a given location.
- Identifying tribes associated with agency lands
- Arranging, organizing, and facilitating meetings between agencies and tribes
- Briefing agencies on American Indian Tribal communication techniques, government organization, and cultural awareness
- Acting as moderators during meetings with tribes
- Establishing American Indian Tribal consultation programs
- Developing agreements with tribes