Lock & Dam 24
Lock and Dam 24 was the first dam on the Upper Mississippi River 9-Foot Channel Project constructed without roller gates. It was designed with the highest level of tainter gate technology available and incorporated 15, 80-foot long, fully submersible tainter gates into the 1,340-foot long dam.
These tainter gates were innovative that they rendered roller gate technology, the principle engineering feature in dam construction at the time, obsolete.
Having opened on May 12, 1940, Lock and Dam 24 has well exceeded its 50-year design life and is currently undergoing major rehabilitation.