The Research and Technical Services Section (EC-ER) specializes in Historical Research and Analysis for Environmental Site Characterization and Restoration in support of the Armed Forces and the Nation Since 1992.
The EC-ER Section was established within the St. Louis District in October 1992 for the purpose of performing archival research and analysis of Military Munitions (MM) and Chemical Warfare Materials (CWM) in support of the Defense Environmental Restoration Program (DERP) at Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS). Since inception, the Research and Technical Services Section has completed over 1000 in-depth reports for site characterization at FUDS, active military and BRAC installations for MEC, CWM, Low Level Radioactive Waste (LLRW), Special Nuclear Material, RCRA Material, and Hazardous, Toxic and Radioactive Waste (HTRW). This work has been performed in all US states and territories, as well as in three foreign countries.
Historical research and investigations conducted with locally available resources generally miss the abundance of historic information for U.S. Government installations stored at national and regional record repositories, including the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) and various other military archives. EC-ER specializes in locating and gathering pertinent site-specific historical documents, maps, aerial imagery, still pictures and film, as well as collecting historic training manuals, pamphlets and regulations along with specific data concerning munitions and chemicals used. The focus is on identifying locations, sources, and quantities of items of concern. Analysis of collected information, along with interviews and visual site inspections, allows for a comprehensive assessment of the site for Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) Preliminary Assessments (PA) or supplementing previous findings prior to the CERCLA Site Investigations (SI) or Remedial Investigations / Feasibility Studies (RI/FS).
Since 1992, the FUDS program products of our organization have been completed in accordance with Engineering Regulation 200-3-1 Environmental Quality - Formerly Used Defense Sites (FUDS) Program Policy:
• Archive Search Reports (ASRs)
• CERCLA Preliminary Assessments (PAs) in accordance with EPA Guidance and USACE guidance
• FUDS Inventory Project Reports (INPRs)
EC-ER has also conducted the following types of investigations over the same period:
• Historic Aerial Photo Analysis
• Historic Records Review in accordance with Interstate Technology and Regulatory Council (ITRC) Guidance
• Potentially Responsible Party (PRP) investigations
• Common Installations, Range and Maintenance Operations Reports
• Operational Site Histories for Military Installations
• Real Estate Acquisitions and Disposals Analysis
• Range Identification and Assessment studies
• Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP) Inventory (ASR/INPR Supplement or Range Inventory) for FUDS at over 700 installations with nearly 2,500 range or Munition Response Sites (MRS).
• MARSSIM (Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual) Sampling to release property and buildings which have been used for radiological purposes
• Hazardous Material Shipping Manifesting and Certification
• Safety Oversight during Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) removal operations
• Historic Munitions Data Sheets
• Munition Constituents Database
• Participated as part of Project Delivery Team (PDT) for subsequent CERCLA phases