NEW ORLEANS — The Coast Guard has issued a number of river closures and restrictions in response to floods in the Midwest.
To keep the public and professional mariners apprised of changes to river traffic, the 8th District will continue to issue press releases capturing all closures and restrictions throughout this period of high water and flooding.
The following Coast Guard sectors have issued closures or restrictions:
Coast Guard Sector Upper Mississippi:
- Upper Mississippi River closed between mile markers 184 and 179 near St. Louis, Missouri.
- Illinois River closed between mile markers 0 to 50 from Hardin, Illinois to Grafton, Illinois.
Coast Guard Sector Ohio Valley:
- Restrictions on Mississippi River from mile marker 110, near Chester Illinois, to mile marker 34, near Billings Landing, Missouri.
Coast Guard Sector Lower Mississippi:
- High water safety advisory on Lower Mississippi River from mile marker 869, near Caruthersville, Missouri, to mile marker 303 near Natchez, Mississippi.
Coast Guard Sector New Orleans:
- High water towing limitations near Morgan City for vessels heading southbound with a length no greater than 600 feet. For more information and limitations call Morgan City Vessel Traffic Services at 985-380-5374.
Release no. 15-069